Car batteries are the heart of any vehicle. They are the central power-source that not only start up the motor itself, but allow you to turn your lights on, listen to the radio, and charge your phone. Without a quality car battery, simply put, you are going nowhere! But have you ever wondered who makes them? And who is the current leading manufacturer for car batteries?
In this article, we’re going to list a number of different battery types with their respective manufacturers, but first; who is the biggest car battery company in the world right now?
What is the biggest car battery company?
Between January and August 2020, the biggest car battery manufacturing company in the world was LG Chem. Their market share was around 26.5%!
Second to LG Chem was CATL, with some 25.8% of the market share, and Panasonic coming in at third place with 20.6%.
What are the three main car battery designs (And who is the biggest manufacturer of each)?
- Lead Acid: Here are some of the leading manufacturers in the Global Lead Acid Car Battery market at the moment – Leoch International Technology Ltd, Panasonic Corporation, East Penn Manufacturing Co., GS Yuasa Corporation, Enersys Ltd., Exide Technologies Inc, Luminous Power Technologies Pvt. Ltd., FIAMM Energy Technology S.p.A., Trojan Battery Corporation and CSB.
- FEB (Enhanced Flooded Battery): VARTA® EFB is currently one of the largest and most reputable manufacturers of the FEB car battery.
- AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat): Here are the key market players making AGM car batteries at the moment – Clarios (US), Power Sonic Corporation (US), Exide Technologies (US), C&D Technologies (US), Fullriver Battery (US), East Penn Manufacturing Company (US), Universal Power Group (US), EnerSys (US).
What are the other car better types (And who is the biggest manufacturer of each)?
- Flooded Lead Acid Battery (Wet Cell): For the Wet Call car battery, these are some of the biggest players – Johnson Controls, Exide Technologies, CSB Battery, GS Yuasa Corporate, Enersys, EAST PENN Manufacturing, FIAMM, Chaowei Power, Tianneng Power, Camel, Fengfan, Leoch, Narada Power, and Exide Industries Limited.
- Silver Calcium Battery: Century Batteries, HCB, Platinum International, Delkor, and more.
- Enhanced Flooded Battery: VARTA EFB are among the largest enhanced flooded battery manufacturers on the market.
- Geo Cell Battery (Dry Cell): Leoch are currently one of the leading manufacturers of the Geo Cell Battery.
- Absorbent Glass Mat Battery (AGM): For AGM batteries, these are some of the biggest players: Clarios (US), Power Sonic Corporation (US), Exide Technologies (US), C&D Technologies (US), Fullriver Battery (US), East Penn Manufacturing Company (US), Universal Power Group (US), EnerSys (US), among many others.
- Deep Cycle Battery: Trojan Battery Company are currently one of the leading manufacturers of the Deep Cycle Car Battery.
- Lithium Ion Battery (Li-Ion): The key market players producing Li-Ion batteries right now are: A123 Systems, Automotive Energy Supply Corp, LG Chem, Panasonic, Samsung SDI, Toshiba, Amperex Technology (ATL), BAK Group, Blue Energy, and BYD.
- Nickel Metal Hydride Battery: The key players for the Nickel Metal Hydride battery include – Duracell, Energizer Holdings, Panasonic, Primearth EV Energy, Spectrum Brands, GP Batteries International, Panasonic, Spectrum Brands (Rayovac), Duracell, and Aeg Powertools.
Should you buy from the manufacturer or a reputable supplier?
If you know precisely what it is that you need, then you can always go direct to the manufacturer and make a purchase. However, there are many benefits to shopping with a third-party supplier, such as G7 Battery. This is especially beneficial if you are not so savvy when it comes to cars and what goes on under the hood.
When you reach out to a reputable third-party car battery supplier, you’ll have a much broader selection of car batteries to choose from. Simply let them know the type of car you have, how old it is, what sort of mileage you do, and they will be able to make a number of solid recommendations for you.